Please note that we do not offer any volunteer places at present (2017/18)
Literally hundreds of volunteers from all over the world have helped over the years to make Pishwanton Wood what it is today. There are a great variety of opportunities for volunteers of all ages and abilities all year round. You may find yourself clearing gorse and bracken, thinning birches and making woven birch fencing, planting trees, digging ponds and ditches, maintaining paths, painting or building walls, caring for our animals or helping in our biodynamic herb and vegetable gardens.
- We can provide accommodation for volunteers at one of the Trust’s three houses in the district. Or come if you are local weekly or for a day. Please ask the Trust office for details.
- If you want to know more, you can read our Volunteer Leaflet, and/or contact us to arrange a simple tour and induction so that we can discuss your expectations and needs.
Do you want to develop any of these skills?
Please look below to what Pishwanton can offer on skills trainings and basic learning in:
- Stone wall construction with lime mortar
- Basic joinery for building
- Lime painting
- Roof construction with turf
- Pole lathe work
Landscape Construction and Maintenance
- Footpath construction
- Hedge planting and laying
- Fence construction
- Woven hurdle making
- Gate making
- Pond and ditch digging
- Garden seat construction
- Compost making
- Raised bed construction
- Sowing seeds
- Cultivating plants indoors and out
- Mowing and edging beds
- Harvest of vegetables and herbs
- Wild harvest of herbs
- Drying and processing herbs for teas, oils, tinctures
- Bottling, labelling products
Orchard and Forest
- Care of fruit trees organically
- Fruit tree pruning
- Thinning forest and processing timber by hand
- Planting trees and shrubs
- Basic care of farm animals (cows, horses, sheep, goats, pigs)
- Sheep shearing
- Combing Cashmere goats
- Carding wool
- Hand weaving
- Making things with wool
- Basket making
Our small-holding is registered biodynamic / organic and alongside the more activities we can offer a lot of conservation skills in the surrounding woods and marsh.
This year we also offer Marketing and Administration Opportunities to support the great work of our permanent part-time staff. We welcome volunteers to help us with:
- Web design.
- Administration (book keeping, data base maintenance).
Note: We encourage volunteers who want to help us at the office to do some outdoor work too.